Tuesday 11 January 2011

Fashion portfolio










I have always enjoyed creative subjects. Most recently the opportunity to take a Textiles A level has improved my design skills, knowledge and appreciation of fashion aesthetics and has confirmed my ambitions for a career in fashion.
My combined interest in fashion and knowledge of the business of fashion will all contribute to my performance while working at degree level. I chose to apply to Manchester because of its’ good reputation and that the course is aimed at fashion designers. Studying in a city with an arts atmosphere and plenty to be inspired by was really important when selecting my university choices. Manchester Fashion Network seems to be a useful source to keep up to date with local fashion events. The opportunity for work placements and experience is really important to support a career in the fashion industry.
Working in retail has helped me to understand consumer’s needs and the profit driven environment, the reverse is the case for my own creative design projects. The objective then becomes more about creating products that reflect passion and ethos. Balancing these two sides of fashion on a daily basis is definitely food for thought about my future career and the type of company I will want to work with.
Putting together my portfolio has allowed me to reflect on all of my work; I have covered three main projects, a corset costume, a waistcoat and tailored trousers. I have been really inspired by the designers like Coco Chanel and the ‘New Look’ collection by Dior, 1940s fashion, the impact of the war and revolution of women. I would really like to spend more time discovering the historical and cultural context of fashion, as I think this would lead to creating more innovative and original design concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment